Sunday, May 3, 2009

Open Studio event at the end of earth in San Francisco


Industrial landscape at Hunters Point Shipyard


Beth Bloom greets a guest


Sculptures by Beth Bloom


Linda Hope in her art studio



Assemblage boxes by Linda Hope



by Ekaterina Levina


I went to Spring Open Studios at Hunters Point Shipyard for the first time yesterday.
This place at the end of earth has been an art community for about 20 years.
I know a couple of artists who work there.

Beth Bloom is a future interior designer. She does everything – painting, printmaking, sculpture, jewelery. I met Beth when she was a president of the Art Club at CCSF last year. I think she's been the most energetic president so far. She makes art, studies for her interior design degree, runs her own design business and trains for marathons. I don't know when she sleeps.

At open studios Beth presented her jewelry - very modern pieces combining silver and wood and her sculpture. For some reason, my attention is always drawn to things that have a heart shape. It doesn't matter, if it's a painting or a sculpture, if it's a heart – I love it.

Check out Beth Bloom's web site:

http://bethbloomdesigns.com/

In a studio next door I met my ex-instructor Linda Hope. I took Linda's class a few times. I love how she teaches Figure Drawing. Her approach to explaining a process of drawing a human figure could be applied to drawing anything. Her class is about how to open eyes and hearts to creating something on paper. Drawing is a process that involves an eye, a hand and a mind. Linda teaches how to engage everything.

This summer Linda Hope teaches Figure Drawing “Life Beyond Fundamentals” at Fort Mason (Continuing Education CCSF) on Saturdays, June 13 – July 25.

I recommend this class to everybody who's serious about drawing.

Hunters Point Shipyard is a very busy and vibrant art community.
All art studios were taken, all were open, all available space had art works in it. Clearly, the artists have been working there – they had a lot to show.

Many people came looking for something – paintings, photographs, prints, sculptures, ceramics, jewelery... As one artist said: “people come just looking on Saturday, then some of them come back to buy what they love on Sunday.”
I hope they would.

Such a great art community deserves great patrons who appreciate art.

No comments: