Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My submission for a juried show at the De Young Museum

Found object sculpture "Love Game"

Painting "California Boys"


by Ekaterina Levina

Sometimes it’s necessary to put in writing the meaning of an art work. Especially, when it’s required by rules of an art competition.
It’s easy to do for new paintings, and not so easy when something was done a year or more ago. I look at my last year painting and try to remember, what the hell did I mean doing this?
I remember the feeling of some kind of great and exciting idea that I had at that time…
But what was it exactly? Trust me; it isn’t that easy for the artist to remember.
I submitted two things for the college night event “Warhol: Now and Then” at the de Young Museum. They asked artists to describe how their art works are related to the theme.
Here are my explanations for the submission:

“Love Game”.

In this found object sculpture the playful repetition of card contrasts with a straight order of chess pieces.
The heart shape from a card jumped under a screwed chess board, while chess figures play a game and support a tin box stage.
The common objects play familiar roles in new unexpected ways.

“California Boys”

I took pictures of my friends from my neighborhood to make this collage.
In my mind, all of them are celebrities in a small local way. Every person in this picture could recognize others.
For viewers, who are not familiar with this crowd, they represent an image of people living today and give an idea of a colorful, all-accepting and sparkling California attitude.
This snapshot of local celebrities of my world is a portrait of our moment in life.









No comments: