Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Girls’ best friends




Courtyard at the Legion of Honor




by Ekaterina Levina

I wonder how many people in the States know about The International Women’s Day on March 8.
This holiday is celebrated in post soviet countries and in China. Even Austria made it an official holiday about three years ago.

To celebrate the occasion I invited my girlfriends to the Legion of Honor to see the exhibit “Artistic Luxury: Fabergé, Tiffany, Lalique”.

No woman could feel indifferent looking at all that splendor of the jewel world! We loved it!

I realized that I prefer Tiffany style, while my girlfriends couldn’t stop talking about the beauty of Faberge eggs and flowers. Amazing craftsmanship! The best of jewels, diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, aquamarines, topazes, amethysts, were presented in their most artful forms.

I’ve never seen kunzite before. It’s a light purple stone with a diamond quality to collect light and sparkle even in the dark.

My favorite of the show was a brooch “Belle de Nuit” by a French artist. The brooch is about the size of a palm. It consists of an ivory female nude with bluish grey enamel bat wings and diamond stars. This piece has a mystical feel about it. It probably was made for a beautiful witch…

One of my girlfriends was a jewelry designer, so when we had a glass of wine at the museum café (always a pleasure!), she told us stories about challenges of making such wonderful things. These details added to our appreciation of genius of jewelry artists.

No comments: