Monday, April 6, 2009

My friend’s wedding dress



by Ekaterina Levina

I always pay attention how artists paint white objects. It’s fascinating how differently people interpret this color.
I enjoy painting white. One of my painting instructors said that the artist should see green in red and red in green. I think that when it comes to white, it’s up to the artist to see the whole rainbow in it.

Last summer I was looking for an ultimate white object to paint and had an idea to paint a still life with a wedding dress. It doesn’t get any whiter, I guess.

My girlfriend let me borrow her wedding dress a few days after her wedding.
My friend is a beautiful young woman with an incredible kind heart and courage. Her love story is a story of star-crossed lovers. As how poetically our mutual friend said about her and her husband, “they both fell down from the sky to be together”. The adventures of young lovers didn’t stop after the wedding. The new bride had to leave the country for a month, as she thought. But it’s taking much longer…

Now it’s been eight months since she left and couldn’t come back. It’s heartbreaking to see people who are so much in love but have to be apart. I and all her friends hope that she would come back soon and she and her husband would finally get a chance to live happily ever after.

Meanwhile, I finished that still life with the dress. The painting has a bright optimistic spring feeling.

It’s a wedding season again!

No comments: